Friday, July 29, 2011

So Worth It...

I promised myself when I started this blog that I would keep the posts fairly short, for those of you with short attention spans, so I apologize for this semi-long post.

Since moving to Costa Rica, JB and I have realized a few things about food: 1 - American food here is expensive (can of soup $7) and 2 - most American food is processed and therefore not good for you anyway. As a result, we have decided to adjust our eating habits, so we eat healthier and more affordable. Now, I'm not saying we are perfect and never have snacks (cheez-its, oreos, etc.), because we do. But, the main thing we have changed, is anything that contains fruits or vegetables we try to make from scratch (ex: most meals, soups, applesauce, fruit popsicles). Unlike the States, fruits and vegetables here are very affordable and there are plenty of local markets open year round.

One of our favorite healthy recipes is homemade salsa. Most people here make fresh salsa, but I don't want to chop up a bunch of stuff every time I have a taste for some, plus I prefer restaurant style (or the kind that looks like it's from a jar). I was given a great recipe from a friend that requires you to cook the salsa, which makes it very easy to freeze and save for later.

Now, the main reason I am blogging about this is because I have been encouraging my mom to make this salsa for awhile and when she finally did, she (someone who doesn't like to cook) thought it took a little long, considering it is easy to just buy a jar at the store. I reminded her that it's soooo much healthier this way, and I really didn't think it took that long to make. I told her the next time I made it, I would time myself to prove it. 

Well, we just used our last bag of salsa yesterday. Knowing we were running out, I already had the ingredients on hand and so I decided to make it today. And the winner is.....my mom! She is right it does take a bit of time (almost 2 hours, not including the cook time) to make the salsa. But, trust me, it is SO WORTH IT. 

I love it for the following reasons:
  • tastes fresh (I guess that's because it is)
  • it's healthy
  • I can use it in other recipes
  • it lasts us at least 2 months
  • and most importantly, it's ready whenever JB and I want some
Okay, enough writing, time for the pics and the recipe, for those inquisitive minds. Oh and by the way, I am a messy cook.




Salsa Recipe (I have tweaked it a little from the original one given to me):

8 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
2 cups chopped sweet peppers (I use red and green peppers)
2 cups chopped onions
6-8 garlic cloves, minced
1 small can tomato paste
2 tsp paprika
1 1/4 cups vinegar
2 Tb sugar
1 Tb salt
1 tsp oregano
1/4 to 1/2 lb diced jalepenos
* 1/4 chopped cilantro (I don't usually add this)

Put all ingredients in a large pot, except cilantro. Cover and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add cilantro (I recommend only adding it to the one you won't be freezing).

I hope some of you get a chance to use this recipe!

0 comments:

Post a Comment