Sunday, December 18, 2011

Only in Costa Rica, November ~ Another Looong Trip

Remember my OiCR post for October?...about the 3 looong trips to Santa Cruz. Well, here's another good story...

Levi is due for his 2 month check up, but our pediatrician is in San Jose, 4 hours away. So, we decided to find someone else near us. I asked a friend who they use and they go to a doctor in Liberia, about an hour away. BUT, he doesn't speak English and I decided that I don't want anything lost in translation, in regards to Levi. So, I decided to look online and find a good medical clinic in Liberia. I called and asked if they have a pediatrician that speaks English and they do...great! I made the appointment and was excited to find someone that speaks English and lives close to us.

Well, again, just like my Santa Cruz trip, this was too good to be true. We get to the clinic at 4pm (30 minutes before our appointment, just in case) and after waiting about 30 minutes the doctor says he has to go help with a c-section delivery of twins at the hospital and he would be back in 20-30 minutes, which in Tico time is more like an hour. Well, there was also another family ahead of us, so when he returned an hour later, we still had to wait some more. Finally after a total wait period of 2 hours, we got in with the doctor. I had already given Levi his medicine because I knew he would be getting some shots. The doctor did all the routine things...weight, measurement, and checking for other healthy signs. Then he dropped it on us...he doesn't administer shots. What?!?!...you're a pediatrician for crying out loud!...isn't there even a nurse that can do it?...No. We have to go to a pharmacy and a nurse there can do it. Well, after driving an hour and waiting 2 hours, the last thing we wanted to do now was go wait at a pharmacy for who knows how long. I guess we will just go to one back by our home in the next day or so.

Oh and by the way, the 15 minute appointment cost us $70...for something I could have done. Oh well, living and learning in CR...maybe that should be my blog title ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment