Saturday, September 3, 2011

Only in Costa Rica, August ~ Indecent Exposure

Sorry for not posting lately, but because I was only going back to work for four weeks, I wanted to make sure I was putting in 100% effort.  So, unfortunately, that took away from my free time to blog.  But, I'm officially on maternity leave now and ready to blog...more about that later, let's start with the indecent exposure:

In the U.S. I don't think I've ever come across a mom breastfeeding in public without some kind of coverage (ex: blanket, nursing cover, etc.).  Well, purchasing those items are not necessary here in CR. Apparently it is completely fine to just whip out your breast in public and let the baby suck away.

My first experience with this was about two years ago when I was at a local fiesta (in U.S. terms: street festival with bull fighting). I was standing under the bleachers, trying to get a glimpse of the bull fight, when this girl next to me just pulled her breast out of her tank top and let the baby feed. We were literally inches from each other, so at first I felt uncomfortable and looked around to see if anyone noticed and thought it was strange, but everyone acted as if it was completely normal. I haven't really thought about this experience in awhile until I went to the local clinic yesterday to get the paperwork for my maternity leave. There were about ten people in the waiting room with me and also a mother with her baby. She too, calmly pulled her breast out from her shirt and started feeding her baby in front of everyone. I guess this is normal and completely legal in CR. I haven't experienced breastfeeding yet, but I know it is a natural connection between you and your child. However, I'm just not sure I'm ready expose my breasts to everyone and anyone in CR. Well, at least I know it's an option.

And yes, you read it right earlier, I am on maternity leave...and no that does not mean Levi is here. In Costa Rica, you get 120 days (17 weeks) of paid maternity leave - one month before you are due and three months after the birth. I might of mentioned this in an earlier blog, I can't remember and I am too lazy to check. But anyway, I am very grateful for this time off, especially since it's paid time off. CR is not ranked in the top 10 for maternity leave benefits, but it's a heck of a lot better than the U.S and most other countries....see for yourself.

*Oh and by the way, there are no pics for this post...even though breastfeeding in public is acceptable, I'm pretty sure taking a picture of someone in the act is frowned upon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment